PRUSSO.COM .

Life just doesn't get much better than this!

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Sam the Snowman.


"When I lent my voice to Sam the snowman back in 1964, 1 had no idea that the special would air on network television every year since then. When I tour across the country, I am recognized as Sam by everyone from the airline stewardesses down to the smallest of children. The popularity of that special overshadows my Oscar performance in The Big Country and my performance as ‘Big Daddy’ in Cat On A Hot Tin Roof" put together."
"I loved that special, so much that we have had wood figures of the Rudolph characters made and we decorate our front lawn with them every Christmas. The role of Sam came natural to me because I like singing to children because they like good songs and they are interested in some of the same things I am, like frogs, flies and bees. I worked on several projects with Rankin/Bass over the years including, The Daydreamer, The First Easter Rabbit, and even the live action film The Bermuda Depths and enjoyed making them all, but Rudolph is still the most popular. ‘Silver and Gold’ and ‘Holly Jolly Christmas’ are two of my favorite and most requested songs. I am grateful to have been a part of that special. So on behalf of my friend Rick, I ask you to pull up an iceberg and to have to the story of Rankin/Bass."
Burl Ives - 1909-1995

1 comment:

Millertime said...

That is so cool! I liked listening to him sing those songs and i'm still a huge fan of that show (even though it has some issues)! Although I have to say that I always liked Yukon Cornelius the best!